2.29.2008

Frustration sets in....

How many Peace Corps Volunteers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, silly. Peace Corps doesn't actually change anything.

No no, I'm just kidding... although kindof, not really. In the end, I don't really know how much education can really change anything. The schools need to get better, but as one teacher, I can't fix teh lack of resources, terrible primary schools, lack of work ethic in other teachers, the outdated curriculum, or many of the hundreds of other problems with the school. I am fairly certain that if I came back to Dzoole in 20 years, I would see my female students, without a single word of English or memory of math, with 8 kids and selling mandazi (donuts), just like their mothers do. However, I would also bet that the football team we helped start would still be practicing.

I would say out of 300 students, there are one or two smart and dedicated enough go to college, and none who have the 60-100 bucks a year it would take for most 2 year degree programs. For the village, it is the secondary projects that make a difference.

This weekend, Dr. Max, a Zimbabwean who got his med degree in America and who is our PC doctor, visited our site (he visits all sites each year). He has some interesting views on development and was a huge comfort to me. I had been feeling drained and frustrated by the efforts I'd been putting into my school (doing 5 more credits a week than I'm supposed to, the patron of tons of clubs I don't even enjoy). Not only that, but I felt guilty about all the things I enjoyed doing and that I felt took me away from the school... like career counseling and the village club soccer team and their plans for a primary school acadamy. Max was really impressed with the stories about the team and how didicated they are... and he confirmed by enthusiam for the career counseling and life skills classes I have been holding. I realized that I have been putting alot of pressure on myself. I want my classes to be fun and interesting and like the ones I had at Potomac and Georgetown. However, I realize now that this is simply not possible. Not only is there a language barrier, but they have spent education doing strait memorization. While I was always encouraged to think critically and challenge a teacher, here a student could correct a teacher who made an incorrect math problem on the board, and he would be punished with manual labor... no joke, this has happened several times that I've seen.


I am getting a break from teaching though, and perhaps this is a good thing. I came into Lilongwe on Friday with Dr. Max to change my Malaria medication (Methloquin gives really terrible dreams that are hard to tell if they are real or not) and intensive language training begins on on Tuesday in the Southern region, where I'll be till Saturday. Max said just to stay in LL till Tuesday. At first I felt bad ditching out, but I am ahead in my lesson plans, and 3 teachers have already taken off at least 2 weeks (we've onyl been teaching for 3), so I don't feel too bad.

My headmaster has stil not arrived. Other teachers have confirmed my suspicion that the deputy is stealing large sums of money. They have also confirmed rumors that he has a long history of sleeping with students, and is currently hooking up with 2 (his daughter is a student, by the way). The other young female teacher left this week, just stormed into the office and yelled and quit. She will not be replaced, althoguh the ministry will still pay her, although she is not working... oh Malawian bauracracy. So yes, it has been a stressful week.

How is everyone from home? I will be here till Tuesday and will check the net then, so any notes would be very appreciated. Hope you are all well. I love and miss you. KB

No comments: