2.29.2008

Don't do it again... until I need my garden weeded that is

Since we last spoke, I have made an interesting dicovery. The more you punish Malawian students, the MORE they like you. I was always the chill teacher, and they just walked all over me. I now make them call me Madame (although it makes me feel like I should live in the wild west or Vegas), they must stand to speak, and if they do not participate or do homework or come come late, they msut get me a bucket of water or work in my garden. They are chronically late (none own watches), and a group of 15 students came to senior life skills late. I may them all come to work in the garden, carrying bricks from the trash pit to my yard and put them around the flower beds some otehr students had hoed for me earlier in the week. I read of the list of names for roll call after school, as usual just to make sure htey don't skip out, and there were actually mroe students than on the list! I asked why, and the students just said, "we heard it's really fun, we just wanted to come." Yes, they WANTED to come to manual labor detention. Since I began making them slash (cut crass with knives) and mop, they have taken to bringing me small gifts (bean leaves) and takign notes in class... the bitchier I am, the better they are.

I have just spend the weekend restocking in Lilongwe (buying things I can't get in the village... aka, anything other than powdered milk, and occasionally cassava, eggs, and tomatoes). I don't really have any cell phone reception in my village, so i always schedule phone calls with my parents when I'm in town. This weekend was particularly exciting, because Matt called as well, for the first time I'd talked to him since I've been here. I can only wonder what they think of my Peace Corps experience, as all I do when in Lilongwe is use the internet, each cheese burgers, and drink beer... when they called I was playing softball with a group of expats. I promise, Peace Corps is slightly more hard core than a 27 month stay at a low end country club!

I have been really busy lately, and enjoying everything a whole lot more. I stopped taking Mefloquin, the anti-malaria med, because it was makign me stressed and teary... google it, it literally makes some people CRAZY. I am takign a new one, and feel so much better is unbelievable. I am also going to have more free time soon, as I am hiring a worker to make my fire in the morning (so Ill have hot water to bathe in... it's starting to get chilly), as well as to do my laundry once a week and mop my batha and toilet once a week.... maybe even wash my pots. Washing pots is so hard without running water. I do as teh villagers do, using sand and rocks... you take a wet pot and toss sand in and rub it around with your hands; it gets off all the food, grease, and fire soot! Also, because parrafin has been in short supply, actually OUT, I am splurging on a gel fuel stove to cook with at night. I cannot wait... no more fire or paraffin stains on my pans!

I am working on a school food program, in which the students would either get lunch or a breakfast, as most go till 6 or 7 at night without eating. I am also the new secretary of the Gender and Development comittee for Peace Corps, so I will be writing monthly updates for the country news letter as well as going to all memeber and board meetings. And, I am working with one of the strikers on the village youth club team. He is really well educated, but out of work other than helping on his family's land. he wants to start a 2 week camp next november inw hich boys and girls will play together (this NEVER happens) and then they conitnue as a team for the rest of the year. As well as coaching the camp will have a trip to a Pro league game (their first time out of the village!) as well as gender, life skills, and team skills work shops by anti HIV non profits as well as other PC volunteers. It looks awesome and I will keep you all updated as we chug along on it. Lastly, teh club is also thinking of doing soap making as an income generating activity. Matt is sending osme essential oils, so hopefully well be able to sell tem to the whites in the city for a high price (no one in the village uses soap... see above note on sand in pots)

I have to go to the airport now; Martha's dad is coming... its getting me so excited for when mom and dad come. I can't wait.

I love you all, and want to give a special shout out to the Riddles and Fishers... It was amazing of you to think of me and made my week!

Talk to you soon. KB

No comments: